|Artistic and Architectonic Patrimony|
The visitant who comes to Sobrescobio is there mainly because of the natural beauty of the landscapes of the area. However, the important historical-artistic patrimony cannot be forgotten, because it has a strong popular character and has been subject, in these last years, to the important task of recovery and conservation.
In Sobrescobio there is evidence of another Roman path, which connected Sobrescobio with the Calzada Real. This path has an easy access because it is a part of the beginning of the itinerary PE-AS.122, leaving Rioseco.
The castle of Villamorey, of which only the ruins of the tower remain, was subjected to a carefully restoration given both to the area as well as the path of access to it. It is situated over the calm waters of the reservoir of Rioseco, in a hill which dominated the entrance to the area. It was a defensive building, clearly of a Roman origin, reconstructed in the time of Alfonso I. The first documented reference is of the year 1185, when the king Fernando II gives to the Military Order of Santiago the castle of Sobrescobio. It is also known as Torrexón de Tielva, it is described as being in ruins in document of 1494. The castle was abandoned after the foundation of the Pola of Sobrescobio in 1344, when the king Alfonso XI, by petition of his son Enrique and Fadrique, ordered the people of this area to live in Oviñana, giving them various freedoms and fixing the quantity of 1,200 maravedíes as the annual taxes which had to be given to the lords of the land. The importance of the presence of the Torrexón de Villamorey is highlighted by its presence in the symbol of Sobrescobio together with the Cross of the Order of Santiago, owner of the area until the year 1565, in which the Order decided to abandon its jurisdiction.
Several rural houses have been preserved and it is important to highlight the House of the Canella. It was built in Soto de Agues in the XVI century. It was also the old plot of land of the Canella family, native of this locality.
The most important religious buildings are the Parish Church of Saint María la Real of Oviñana, founded at the beginning of the XV century, reconstructed in 1561 by the architect Fernando de Posada. It started using the title Real from 1719. Between 1729 and 1732 the altarpiece was built by the sculptor Francisco de Rivera and in 1868 the Chapel of the Martyrs and la Espadaña. It was destroyed during the last Civil War and now only its ruins are conserved. Next to the church was the old consistorial house of the area, which is now in Rioseco.
The church of San Andrés, in Soto de Agues, is of historicist style. It was built in 1805 by the master Manuel Secades, and defrayed by the people of Soto; it was reconstructed between 1875 and 1872. In its exteriors it is possible to read the following: <<it was made thanks to the people of Soto de Aguesbeing judge Don Tiborio Suárez de la Bera in 1805>>. The floor is rectangular, with square crossing, ribbed vaults and a side porch. It has a side tower in the shape of a sharp needle. The vaults have a decoration made out of marble with images of the bible. The altarpiece was made by the priest Carlos Pereira, of Soto de Agues, in the decade of 1970s with colours glass fitted into a metal structure in the shape of a cross based on the cross of Alfonso II el Casto.
The chapel of San Antonio de Padua, in Soto de Agues, founded in 1709 by the priest Domingo Coches Rubio, who was born in this locality and sent to San Juan de Villar, in Orense, as it says in the inscription of the chapel. In the centre of the altarpiece there is an image of San Antonio, and on the sides there are images representing the Virgin Mary and Saint Joseph. The chapel of San Roque, in Villamorey; it is square, has a front porch and a belfry bell. It was rebuilt in 1858 by Juan Suárez Buyeres. The Church of San Pedro, in Ladines, of the XV century and reconstructed in 1640, the doors stands out for is rosette and the carved image of the Cross of the Caballeros de la Orden de Santiago. The Hermit de Saint Nicolas of Tolentino, in Campiellos, founded in 1673. The Chapel of Saint Ane, in Soto de Agues.
Out of the buildings of Indiana style, the one that stands out, from an artistic point of view, is the house known as Chalet of don Pedro, in Rioseco. It is remarkable for its formal austerity and for having mural paintings in all the rooms and different masks of polychrome stucco, which are characteristic of type of house.
The indiano capital is also responsible for the construction of school in Sobrescobio, where, at the end of the XIX century had one of the lowest levels of illiteracy of Asturias, about 5% of the population. Eadio G. Jove in the book Asturias of Bellmut y Canella, states: <<one of the qualities of this parish is its enthusiasm for public instruction; having three elementary schools (two of boys and one of girls and two incomplete ones); therefore they can all read and write, and the hose-schools are excellent buildings>>. The first school of the parish, the school of Villamorey, was founded in 1814 thanks to the donation by Marcos Cachero, who at his death in Mexico donated to the Municipality 2,000 pesos for the construction and maintenance of a school in his native town. Nowadays it is in ruins.
The school of Indiana style in Soto de Agues had a house, a school and public library and is close to the church. It received the name of National School Nieves Compaño de Blanco, mixed for girls and boys. Emigrants of the locality participated in the building of the school, some of which sent from La Habana a portrait of don Fermín Canella y Secades. During the last Civil War it was burned. Reconstructed in 1948, it became a school for girls, with a house for the teacher. Nowadays it is used as a library and the Offices of the Group for Rural Development PRODER II Alto Nalón.
In the playground of the school there is a Bust of don Fermín Canella Secades, head of the department of Civil Rights, dean and rector of the University of Oviedo, Senator, writer, journalist and historian. It was made by the sculptor Rafael Vela del Castillo in 1924 in homage to the figure which Fermín Canella represents. The schools of the group San Ginés, in Rioseco, were built between 1930 and 1938 as mixed schools. They have several houses for the teachers and were paid with money sent from Pedro Suárez, emigrant in La Habana. For the building of these schools, there was committee who direct it, in which the people of Rioseco could participate. A part of the money was kept 63,476 reales, for the parents of the families with economic difficulties. Nowadays it is used by the CRA Laviana-Sobrescobio.
The Hydroelectric station of Tanes, property of the company Hidroeléctrica del Cantábrico and situated in Rioseco, was built in 1980 by the asturian architect, painter and sculptor Joaquín Vaquero Palacios, with the help of his son Joaquín Vaquero Turcios. Its main objective was to integrate the sculpture, the architecture and painting in one industrial building, humanizing in this way a space which is at the service of technology. The plant is excavated on the rock. He concentrated mainly on the turbine room, in which he painted large geometric figure of colour, in very vivid tones of white and yellow over a grey background, the pillars were covered with polished steel, leaving the rock visible in other parts. There were also an artistic treatment to the machines and functional elements such as conductors, tubes and rails. Obtaining an impressive result, with a futurist style. It is not possible to visit the Electric plant at the moment. However it is worth visiting the Casa del Agua (House of Water), a place in which reversible function of the plant is explained, and in which it is possible to see various images of the interior.
Nombre: Centro de Investigación Artística Ladines